Saturday

Hot Cocoa Italian Style

When we ran out of 'mix' packets and I searched for hot cocoa recipes I discovered the most sensuous of Cocoa recipes. It took a little tweaking to adjust to our tastes but this is wonderful.



HOT COCOA Italian Style

2 tablespoons Cocoa 2 tablespoons Sugar -- whisk together in a saucepan 1 1/2 cups of milk -- we use 2% add milk and continue to whisk over medium heat until it simmers.

Have prepared: 2 tablespoon cold milk 1 tablespoon cornstarch Whisk milk and cornstarch together and add to the simmering cocoa/sugar/milk mixture. Whisk over medium heat for 3-4 minutes.

Add a sprinkle of cinnamon and a pinch of cayenne pepper -- barely a pinch. I had written that 1/2 teaspoon of vanilla was optional; I forgot to add that. It could hardly have been better but I'll add it next time.

This makes enough for two. It will not fill large mugs but it's plenty filling, not to complain.

*The original recipe called for 3 tablespoons of Cocoa -- too much! and less sugar that I used. This makes a thick drink. I could not imagine how comforting it is on a cold day until I tried it.    

I froth a little milk and add to the top of the filled mugs. The easiest froth is when there's not much milk left in the jug and you just shake it hard.

No comments:

Followers