Monday

Fruitcake

He-Who-Mows cracked enough pecans that I had a quart of pecan halves once they were shelled.


This year I left out coconut and only used a half pound of candied pineapple because that was all I found at the store. It was chopped more finely than what we used to buy, which came in little wedges.

My fruitcake consists of a pound cake batter using a cup each of sugar and butter, 5 eggs and 2 tablespoons of pure vanilla flavoring and a cup of flour.

The other fruits are a cup of golden raisins and a pound of candied cherries.

Mama used to use a similar recipe except that she used dates instead of raisins.

In previous years I 've added spices and different flavorings like lemon and rum extracts. I like a purist fruitcake: simple fruit and nuts with batter to hold it together.

Because it is more than 2 weeks before Christmas, we will likely have eaten the whole thing by Christmas. I have enough pecan pieces to make a Chocolate Sheet Cake for Christmas Day.


No comments:

Followers