Wednesday

Hyacinths

We so enjoyed the Fisher Peanut butter. Now it's time to enjoy food for the soul as Mama used to call it.





These pics were quickly snapped when I went to get the cat out of the greenhouse so I could close the doors tightly against thunderstorms that are crossing the Chattahoochee as I type.

Hyacinths in the outdoors are blooming before stems are out of the ground, indicating a lack of winter cold.

I had an email from Sally's Mom who said she followed my instructions for pre-chilling and planting hyacinths in pots of soil with good results.

I failed to follow my own instructions closely enough for Hippeastrum. No Amaryllis are blooming in the greenhouse, just a plethora of green foliage. I'm not sure where I went wrong but maybe buds will appear sometime this month or the next. If not, they're all going into the ground outside to start over for bloom cycles next spring.

2 comments:

gld said...

I bet your greenhouse smells wonderful! I love that deep purple hyacinth.

I haven't had great success with them even planted outside in a container. Maybe the big box store bulbs weren't the best.

Jean Campbell said...

Big box store hyacinths will bloom as readily as the ones from mail order. Sometimes they may be just a tad smaller. That isn't always bad. The color selection is better from mail order vendors.

It takes fine tuning to have them bloom together in color harmonies. Some bloom later. I ordered a 'mix' of colors I really like. I didn't think about Gypsy Queen just beginning to bloom as the deep purple was almost gone in some of my mixed pots.

Wonder if I'll remember this next year? I love mixed pots, if they'll just cooperate.

Followers